This is a book App targeted at kids 6 and up, or kids who are ready to read chapter-books. It tells the true story of Edson Hendricks: He was bullied at school, but found comfort in an imaginary world where he had machine parts, and no biological organs or emotions. Later he went to MIT and IBM, and invented “connectionless” network design, which is used in today’s Internet. While reading it, I felt it is almost like a featured documentary. In addition to the story itself, the App also includes some good information on teaching a genius child, fighting bully, and Edson Hendricks’ insight for invention. With so much good content and nice design, I cannot believe it is free.
App Features from App Store:
• A true inspiring story written by a former primary school teacher (now a private investigator), suitable for “chapter-book” reading level
• Complete story narration by Edson Hendricks (with option for the app to turn the pages)
• Bright child-appealing illustrations
• The latest information about preventing schoolyard bullying from the Red Cross, and The Council for Exceptional Children
• “Teaching children of genius” advice from Leanne Jones
• “How my mind works” and “people who are different” interviews with a genius
• Hendricks’ unorthodox insights into the origin of Earth’s water and tektites
• Original musical score – 6 songs composed and performed on piano by Leanne Jones
• Hendricks interviewed: “genuine inventions”, “predicting the future”, “necessary situation for invention”, “creating a network”, “debugging”, “naming VNET”, “the first email virus”, “advice to programmers”
• “Evolution of a Virtual Machine Subsystem”, the 1979 IBM Systems Journal article by Hendricks and Hartmann chronicling the technical development of VNET into a world-wide network years before the Internet was launched
• Dozens of anecdotes about creating VNET and meetings with Vint Cerf and other scientists
• Trip reports, internal memos and documents detailing IBM’s bungled opportunity
• 160k log of pre-Internet emails between scientists debating standards.
This is a good biography book teaching kids overcome difficulties, be resilient at difficult situations, and be persistent in personal pursuit. It is inspirational for kids and adults, especially those interested in science and technology. It is only available for iPAD. It is FREE.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.