I reviewed several apps from ABCmouse.com, including the 3 Zoo Sets and Grand Canyon. Now they have a Beginning Reader Series: Word Families, helping kids learn phonics via word families. Currently there are 6 titles in the series. All the apps are free. What a great resource of early literacy for kids!
This is a series introducing “young learners to the joys of reading through stories that emphasize word families, ie. groups of words with the same ending sound, such as hot, pot, and not. Each story in the Beginning Reader Series is told in an engaging rhyming format in which words from the featured word family appear frequently”.
- Big Pig and Little Pig: kid learn the –ig words with the pigs while they share a fig.
- The Hen in the Pen: learn the –en words with a boy Ben, who builds a pen for a hen.
- Dan and Jan: kids learn the –an words while playing with Dan and Jan.
- Ham with Jam: Pam likes Jam, Sam likes Ham, … Kids learn -am words while Pam and Sam figure out how to eat Ham with Jam.
- Big Bug and Little Bug: learn -ug words while big bug helps little bug get out of the hole he dug.
- To Run is Fun: learn the -un word with a boy who loves run in the sun.
Three reading modes are available with all ABCmouse.com Beginning Reader Series books: Read to Me non-stope, Read with Pause between pages, I Can Read It (the book is not read aloud). On each page of the book, kids can open the Words page, where all words on that page were shown and kids can learn phonics of each word by tapping on it.
The Parent Tips section is a very helpful place for parents to get some creative ideas on interacting with kids using the words they are learning. Designed by child literacy experts, the suggestions are easy things a parent can do to help kids learn phonics – how written letters are related to sounds.
All book apps work on iPhone, iPod, and iPAD. They are FREE on App Store.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.
If you are looking more free reading materials for kids, please visit 10 Free Reading Programs Continuously Offer Free Books to Kids.