How to Gift Apps?

How to gift apps?

If you have an iPhone, iPod, or iPAD with iOS 5 and earlier, you can gift an app from your iDevice.  However, with iOS 6, the app gifting function is not available on the device at this time.  If you want to gift an app, you must use the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC.  I will explain how to gift an app in both ways.

How to gift apps in iTunes on a computer (Mac or PC):

1. In iTunes, click iTunes Store in the Source list on the left panel.
2. Scroll down to the App section.
3. Find the app that you want to give to someone.  You can use the search function on the top-right corner.

How to gift app in iTune

4. Once the app you are looking for shows up on the screen, click the arrow to the right of the Buy button; in the resulting menu, choose the Gift This App.

How to gift apps in iTune - 2

5. Once you’ve clicked Gift, you’ll either be asked to sign in with your account name and password, or you’ll see a “Give a Gift” page. It doesn’t matter which screen you get first, you will get both.
6. You have the option to Send the gift via email, or if you want a hard copy to put in a holiday card, you can choose Print gift myself.

How to gift apps in iTune - 3

7. Once you’ve successfully signed in and completed the gift form, you’ll be brought to a page to review your purchase and confirm it.

Note: Gifts can only be redeemed in the store country from which the gift was bought.  If you bought the gift from US Store, your friend can’t redeem it from the UK store.

How to gift apps on iPAD:

If you still have iOS 5 or earlier, you can gift apps from your iPAD.  All you have to do is to go to App Store, open the app you want to gift to someone.  On the top-right corner, tap on “Gift This App”, then follow instructions.

How to Gift Apps on iPAD (iOS5 or earlier)

How to gift apps on iPhone:

Again, if you did not update to iOS 6, you can gift apps from your iPhone.  It is a little different from iPAD.  Open the app you want to gift within the App store, then scroll all the way down.  You will see “Gift This App”.  Tap on that, and follow instructions.

How to gift apps on iPhone (iOS5 and earlier)

Hope these are helpful.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

ali December 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for a handy post!

Rene' Comer December 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for such a helpful entry! Great for Christmas! :)

Patryce December 5, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Did you know that you can also sign in with your apple id on their device and allow them to download your apps onto their device? I plan to use this to share apps with my kids when they get their iPods for Christmas.

iGameMom December 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for point it out, it is the easiest way to do it, if you can meet each other face to face.

Nick Owchar December 4, 2012 at 7:30 pm

The entries on this blog are all very good, but this one is really great — I’m a bit stuck in the ancient past as my own blog shows, so I haven’t thought about gifting apps before. But with app-ready children in our house, I’m really excited about this.

iGameMom December 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

Not to mention there are so many good educational apps, including book apps; and no driving to the stores; …

Rivka B. December 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I am truly envious of your knowledge of the cyber world. But I guess that is a waste of time, since I have you to tap into as a resource. So thank you for doing what you do and gifting us, the ‘out of the know’ people with your website.

It is as if every time I visit here, I am given a gift! :)

iGameMom December 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thank you! Come visit more. Your visits, and your comments are gifts to me!

Sharan Paul December 4, 2012 at 6:55 am

Perfect for my grandson, a gamer, and my daughter, a musician! *And easy to wrap!

iGameMom December 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

Glad this helps. Hope you find some educational apps for grandson and great music for your daughter. yes, easy to wrap, and no trip to busy mall.

{ 1 trackback }