Future Scientists will be excited to hear that isygames have added another fun anatomy themed app to their collection: Heart and Lungs lab. The interactive app gives kids the opportunity to dynamically explore the human body and to learn its functions hands on. On opening the app you are presented with a diagram of the circulatory and respiratory systems. Start your learning with choosing one of three types of activities.
1. Select the throat to be taken to an interactive ‘map’. Tap each label to learn more about the functions of more than 25 components of these body systems. You can also view each system separately by changing to either heart or lung mode.
2. Press the heart for six virtual laboratory investigations exploring the physiology of the circulatory and respiratory systems. Here you can:
- Look at blood under a microscope
- Fuel cells with oxygen and glucose and clear out Carbon dioxide.
- View a cross section of the heart
- Explore gas exchange
- Learn how the lungs move air in and out
- Watch the continuous movement of blood throughout the body
3. Take a quiz when you are ready to see how well you recall the parts of each system.
Older elementary kids will love this app. I was really impressed with the interactivity of this app. Kids basically can create a breathe or heartbeat to watch the dynamics of the physiology of our body, watch how different parts of our body work together to finish a seemingly simple task.
The reading level is appropriate for elementary school kids. Younger kids will appreciate it so long as a grownup can sit with them to read the text.
This would be a great supplement to science lessons at home and in school. For our family it also provoked a great discussion about keeping our hearts healthy and getting plenty of exercise.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.
Looking for more resources about circulatory and respiratory systems? Check out the app and eBook Heart Pumping Adventure.
Today’s app is reviewed by JJ (Piwi mama), a proud wife and mama of two girls. The family travel with her hubby’s work so most of her time is spent teaching her kids. In her spare time, JJ blogs about their portable learning and reviews books. You can read about their travels at Learning and Growing the Piwi way