Along with Horton Hatches the Egg, Oceanhouse Media introduced another book app: The Berenstain Bears’ BIG Bedtime Book. There are 6 bed-time stories in one app. As an introductory special, right now it is only $4.99 for all 6 stories at the App Store.
The 6 stories are classic folk tales retold for the Brother and Sister Bears by their beloved babysitter Mrs. Grizzle, except that bears are substituted as the featured characters rather than the animals of the original. Some stories have some interesting twists making them fun to the kids.
- Little Red Grizzly Hood: A little cub visits her grandmother in the woods and encounters a very tricky wolf.
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff Meet the Bogg Brothers: Three goat brothers are determined to outsmart the hungry inhabitants under the bridge.
- The Three Little Cubs and the Big Bad Pig: The three little cubs see how their special houses, built from their favorite treats, fare against a very hungry pig.
- The Gingerbread Bear: Grandma and grandpa bear are in for a surprise when their freshly baked gingerbread bear hops right off the pan!
- Goldibear and the Three People: Goldibear strays too far outside the forest and encounters some terrifying creatures – people!
- The Little Red Hen: The little red hen enlists the help of the duck, the cat, and the pig to plant and harvest the wheat.
Comments from the two young Bears throughout the book are funny, but some may feel they disrupt the story flow.
All the typical features in Oceanhouse Media book apps are there: individual words are highlighted as the story is read and words zoom up when pictures are touched.
I really admire the developers’ attention to details. For example: when the picture is touched while the narrator is still reading the page, you will see the corresponding word zooming up, but the word is not read. When the narrator finishes reading the page, and you touch the picture, the corresponding word will be read while zooming up. You can tell the developers had done some research on toddler behaviors – they will start tapping the pictures before you finish reading the page. The design seems can stand the toddlers’ abuse very well.
Three ways to read this book:
- “Read to Me” — listen to the narrated story with words highlighted as they are read
- “Read it Myself” — read the book in its traditional form
- “Auto Play” — plays like a movie, automatically reading and turning pages. Great for younger children!
- Picture/Word association — words zoom up and are spoken when pictures are touched
- Individual words highlight and are read aloud when tapped
- Professional audio narration
- Custom background audio for each scene
- Pages pan & zoom to accentuate the beautiful, original art of the Berenstains
- This ‘Universal App’ is optimized for Retina displays and the iPad
- Six stories in one Book. Switch between stories from the main menu.
If you like Berenstain Bears books, you will like this app. With 6 stories in one, I would get it at $4.99. Looks like it is only available for iPad/iPhone, not for Android yet.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.
Thanks for this handy info and for stopping by my site. I appreciate the encouragement!
You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by! Please come visit more!
This post brings back some fond fond memories for me!! I loved the Berenstain Bears!! Aother one of my favorites were the sweet pickles books. 🙂
Thank you! Those are good books. I am glad they made them into apps with some many cool functions help the kids learn.
I love this app, I read it to my niece of 4 years old when she comes over to my house. I like that it has 6 stories and it never gets old, although I am bore of it, as long as she still likes it. However, if any of you parents are interested in storytelling apps, this is a really good “a jazzy day”. Great apps with more than storytelling. I downloaded few days ago and is totally worth it. I got to use it with my niece and nephew. I wish I can grow up with all these amazing apps that is in the market.
I am following them on twitter since I am a music teacher too and they do some amazing job on that end. Here is their website http://www.themelodybook.com/a-jazzy-day/
Check them out
Sounds like a great app! We love the Berenstain Bears!
If you like Berenstain, and has an iPad or iPhone, this is a no brainer. I wish I knew these apps when my son was young. It is so easy to carry around and so many more features to keep them engaged.
The Bernstein bears were a major favorote of mine! Great app. : ) -sasha
Love those Bears! Booked a live tour of them in for a children’s program I directed. 3,000 laughing kids!
Thanks for stopping by and sending a like to my Feathered Friends 🙂
What fun! Thanks for visiting.
I love the Berenstien Bear books. My kids love them as well.
Just read the Bernstein Bears to my girls recently :). And at 2 they are completely addicted to the ipad, iphone, and anything touch screen Lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and liking one of my posts.
Thank you for your visit.
The Berenstain Bears are so big in our house, as is the ipad. 🙂 What a great way to combine them! This sounds really great. I get easily overwhelmed by technology, so I really appreciate this blog to help me sift through the ocean of stuff that is out there. Thanks!
Glad I can help. Come visit more.
that looks fun
This is great! I love the Berenstain Bears and hope to pass the love of these books down to our little guy.
This would be a good way to pass on your love …