Young Scientists and Bill Nye fans get excited! To celebrate 20 years of Bill Nye the Science guy Disney has launched an anniversary App. Open Nye labs by ‘scanning’ your fingerprint and then explore all of the Retro Gadgets and objects on Bill Nye’s desk.
The set up of the app is all exploratory. Kids can tap around on his desk to find interesting things. Some of the fun things we discovered right away:
- The robot takes kids to a Mini game of artifact digging.
- The rocket takes kids to a planetary adventure, but they have know the perfect launching time to finish the journey and learn about all the planets.
- The Bill Nye bubblehead tells a science fact each time when it is tabbed.
- The book on his desk opens up 6 Do-it-Yourself science experiment guides with step-by-step instructions. All can be easily done at home, even by very young kids.
- The little television plays clips of Bill Nye science videos, each about one minute long, just enough to explain a science concept. There are 10 free clips. Full length can be purchased via In-App Purchase.
- and our favorite – the visual illusion video …
However, there are things that took us a while to discover, such as the periodic table on the back of Bill’s business card. When kids tap on an element, they will hear some fun facts about that element.
I was very impressed with the design of this app. The exploratory nature of the app encourages curiosity, critical thinking, and problem solving. There are so many little added features that kids will want to go back again and seems every time you can find something new. Bill Nye’s commentary and pop up boxes throughout the app make the whole experience fun and educational.
The reading level is suitable for kids age 7 and up. However, younger children would still be able enjoy the fun with some assistance.
Overall it is a great app to introduce kids into science in a fun way, plus it is FREE. There is no reason not to get it.
Bill Nye The Science Guy is available for iPhone, iPod and iPAD. It is FREE on App Store. The app is only available in the US.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.
For more science apps for kids, check out the Best Science Apps for Elementary School Kids.