There are so many math apps out there. It is hard to tell which one is at the right level for my child. While looking for a math App that is linked with school’s curriculum, I found the SplashMath series.
It the series, there is an App for each grade, ranging from grade 1 to 5. All are aligned with state standards. This takes a lot uncertainty out when parents are trying to decide which app to buy for the kids. With multiple chapters covering hundreds of math concepts and various types of problems, it is by far the most comprehensive math App I’ve seen. At the bottom of this post, I listed the chapters the 3rd grade app covers, so you can have a feel how comprehensive it is and how well it lines up with the standard curriculum.
The content is fun and interactive. Children drag and drop shapes, pop bubbles, rotate clock hands … The music and voice are upbeat and encouraging. When you get a correct answer, you will hear “awesome”, “great”. Each correct question is worth one point. After five correct answers in a row you win a “Power Up”, when every answer is worth 2 points. After earning certain amount of points, you earn sea creatures and supplies in an interactive aquarium, where you can tap and feed the animals and make them dance, jump or more.
There are two modes in the app: practice and game. In practice mode, if you make a mistake, you get more chances till you get it right. In game mode, if you make a mistake, you won’t get a chance to fix it, and you won’t get the point for the question.
You can customize the chapters you want to practice by turning certain chapters on or off. You can also choose to have extra practice in a specific chapter.
It can track multiple users’ progress. You can set up progress reports to be sent to an email address.
The iPhone/iPod version is $4.99. It also works on iPAD, but the picture may be a little blurry. To get better picture quality, you can get the iPAD version, which is $9.99.
This is the only math App I found that links to the standard curriculum. It can save the parents so much time and money in trying to find out if it fits the child’s need. It is also the most thorough and comprehensive math app I’ve ever seen. With the ability to customize the content of the practices, I feel this could be the only math app you will need for the year.
This is a practice app, not a teaching app. You can use it for reinforcing, extra practice, or catch-up work. If your child needs help in understanding math concepts, you have to sit down and do it yourself. However, you can use the progress report to understand where the help is needed. With summer approaching, this could be a good “summer bridge workbook”.
The $9.99 for iPAD looks a little pricy. However, when you think this could be the only app you will need for the year, it is not that bad at all. Looking at the math workbooks in Amazon, you will find out most are at the price range of $8-15.
The 3rd Grade App Chapters:
1. Place Value: ones Tens Hundreds; Thousands; Ten Thousands.
2. Number Sense: Compare numbers; Order numbers; Round to nearest ten and hundred; Round to nearest Thousand.
3. Addition: Properties of addition; Two digit; Three digit; Four Digit; Estimate sums.
4. Subtraction: Two digit subtraction; Three digit subtraction; Subtraction greater numbers; Estimate differences; Subtract across zeroes.
5. Multiplication Facts: Repeated Addition; Multiply by 2; by 4; by 5; by 10; by 0 & 1; by 3; by 6; by 7; by 8; by 9; Properties of multiplication.
6. Division Facts: Repeated subtraction; Related Division and Multiplication; Divide by 2; by 5; by 10; Division properties; Divide by 3; by 4; by 6; by 7; by 8; by 9.
7. Time: Read and set Time; Elapsed time; Read Calendar; Relate Time Units; Time patterns.
8. Customary Measurements: Measuring length; Units of length; Units of capacity; Units of weight.
9. Metric Measurements: Measuring length; Units of length; Units of capacity; Units of weight.
10. Geometry: Polygons, Triangles; Quadrilaterals; Perimeter; Area; Solid Figures; Volume of solids.
11. Data and Probability: Tally Charts; Line Plots; Bar graphs; Identify probability; Predict outcomes.
12. Fractions: Parts of a whole; Add; Subtract; Equivalent; Compare fractions.
13. Decimals: Tenths; Hundredths.
14. Multiplication: Multiply multiples of 10; Estimate products; Multiply 2 digit numbers; Multiply greater numbers.
15. Division: Divide multiple of 10; estimate quotients; Two digit quotients; Three digit Quotients.
16. Money: Add; Subtract; Multiply; Divide money.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.