Jan Berenstain passed away two days ago. My son loved Berenstain books when he was young. After reading the news, I can’t help looking up the Berenstain book apps. I am glad to see 18 Berenstain book apps in the App Store, all made by Oceanhouse Media. I tried a couple and was quite impressed. I wish we had these book apps when my son was young, so we could carry many books on a light-weighted iPAD, and he could read in the car even when it was dark out.
One of the app I check out is “The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule”. It teaches children to make the right choices even when it is hard to do. The reading is professional and kids friendly. The art works are consistent with the paper books. There are three options when you use the app:
1. Read to Me:
- The voice is friendly. The reading speed is good, not very fast, yet a smooth flow.
- While the story is read, each word is highlighted to attract kid’s attention.
- The pictures are attractive, but while the book was read, no motions in the pictures. This is a good sign of the app design, telling me the designer really knows what they are doing. Too much background action will distract the kids from the words, so they won’t learn reading.
- Before turning to the next page, you can tap on a
single word to have it repeated, or hold on any word to have the entire paragraph read again.
- When you touch on a picture, the corresponding words will zoom up and be read to you.
2. Read it myself:
- You read the book on your own. You do hear the background sounding effects. The options of tapping and holding for repeat reading are still available. If you are stuck on certain words, you can tap on the single words to have it read to you. You can also hold the word to have the whole paragraph read to get a feel how the word flow in a sentence.
- The picture-word association (picture tapping then word zooming) is also available.
3. Auto Play:
- Plays like a movie, automatically turn the pages and read. This is a good option for younger kids who cannot yet read.
Overall, it is a very good book app. The cost is $3.99 at AppStore.
I did not check all of the Berestain Bears apps. If you are interested in other Berenstain books, here are the titles available in App Store. Click on the title to check it out at AppStore.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.