If you have kids learning algebra and geometry, you will love this free app. Desmos is a graphing calculator, it can show you on the screen the graph based on the equation you wrote. The graph will change instantly if you make changes on the equation. I just love how intuitive it is to use. What is even better, it is free, as apps on Apple app store and Google Play. It is also available on their website if you prefer to work on computers. It is nice to have a handy app that helps you solve algebra equations with instant graphs.
Some quick ideas on what this tool can do:
1. You can write a function, y=x+1, on the left side of the screen, and the plot shows up on the graph area right away. If you change the function to y=2x+1, or y=x+2, the graph will change accordingly, and instantly.
2. You can use a slider for the function. Instead of y=x+1, you can write the function as y=x+b, and slide the value of b along a line, and you can watch the graph move as you change the value of b.
3. You can find solution of inequality. For example, for y>x+2, you will see the area of the solution shaded.
4. You can find solutions of a group functions visually from the interaction of the lines for the functions.
5. You can highlight a certain points on the graph, and see the x, y value instantly.
6. You can use it as calculator, like x=square root of 8
7. You can find functions by input data in tables. For example, you can pull a table of two rows, one row is for x, one is for y, and as you put in values for x and y, you will see the corresponding data showing up on the graph.
8. You can output the graphes for future reference.
All these feature make teaching and learning interactive. Isn’t it nice when you are trying to teaching the concept of slope, you can instantly show kids how the lines change when the slope is changed? It is also great for kids to explore on their own. Desmos is available on the website to use for free, or as apps on mobile devices.
If you would like to check it out or purchase it, please use the App Store link provided below. The cost is the same to you, but iGameMom gets a small percentage. Thanks for your support! Note: The link works for all countries.
For more math learning tools, visit the Best Math Learning Tools for Kids or 45 Math Games Grouped by Age and Learning Objectives