Building toys create a wonderful platform for creative play. They expand their imagination, promote motor skills, … all through play! You will also find, that a lot of these toys revolve around STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) or STEAM (with Art added to STEM). For your expressive and exploratory young engineers, check these amazing toys out!
To help you find the best building toys for the kids on your gift list, I created a building toys gift guide.
All of the items are separated by age, which will make finding the perfect gift even easier.
Building Toys for Babies to Toddlers, 1 to 2-Year-Olds
- Foam Building Blocks: The best set of building blocks for baby!
- Mega Bloks: Big and chunky pieces perfect for small hands. Love the carrying case too!
- Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn First Words Shape Blocks: These blocks have textured sides.
- Little Stackers Lion Locomotive: All aboard! Let’s stack the train.
Building Toys for Preschool Kindergarten Kids, 3 to 5-Year-Olds
- TinkerToys: A classic building toy that every kiddo should have on hand.
- Build Your Own Car Kit: With realistic looking tools, along with nuts and bolts, kids can build their very own race car.
- Bristle Blocks: These blocks are really easy to use. You can build a variety of things with this set that comes with over 100 pieces.
- LEGO Duplo Deluxe Train Set: This set has it all. The trains even make noises!
- Tegu Magbot Magnetic Wooden Block Set: Build robots with these magnetic blocks.
- LEGO Juniors Fire Patrol Suitcase: I think the best part about this building toy gift idea is the case it comes in.
- Learning Resources Gears: Building with gears can be very entertaining. Especially when those gears light up.
Building Toys for School Kids, 6 to 10-Year-Olds
- Roller Coaster Challenge Logic & Building Game: This game challenges you to build a complete roller coaster from start to finish.
- LEGO Elves Rosalyn’s Healing Hideout: Comes complete with a two-story tree fort and alchemy room.
- Ingenious Machines Remote Control Robotic Building Kit: Kids can build remote-controlled robots!
- Zoob Builders: This building kit has a pull-back motor that helps this robot move.
- LEGO Disney Princess Moana’s Ocean Voyage: I love the canoe in this set… oh, and you can’t forget about Maui!
- LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox: Build, code, and create with this fantastic LEGO kit! These sets have sure come a long way.
- LEGO Make Your Own Movie Kit: Kids can build LEGOs and make their very own stop animation movies.
- Thames & Kosmos Geckobot Wall Climbing Robot: Kids can build a gecko robot that climbs the wall! So cool.
- SmartLab Toys Aftershock Earthquake Lab Set: Build different models to see if they can withstand the strength of an earthquake.
- Catapults & Crossbows Science Kit: This kit has enough pieces to make 10 working catapults and crossbows.
- Scientific Explorer Young Architect Building Set: Create 3D models that are re-usable.
- LEGO Belle’s Enchanted Castle: Thanks to the folks at LEGO, you can now gift Belle’s enchanted castle.
Building Toys for Tween and Teens, 11 to 18-year-olds
- LEGO Batman Batwing Building Kit: This is the ultimate Batman LEGO set!
- Mechanical Engineering Robotic Arms: Learn the science behind robotic arms by building them.
- LEGO Ninjago Movie Destiny’s Bounty: This fantastic ship comes with three levels as well as some pretty impressive LEGO Minifigures.
- K’Nex Swing Ride Building Set: Build a functioning swing set… just like the ones at an amusement park. There is also a K’Nex Roller Coaster Set.
- K’Nex Ferris Wheel: This amusement park ride really works, thanks to the motor.
- Laser Pegs Monster Truck: Once you have built the monster truck, it lights up with the help of some electric blocks. The best part is that they are compatible with other popular building blocks.
- LEGO Star Wars VIII BB-8 Building Kit: BB-8’s head rotates just like he does in the movies.
- DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Build a strong deck to protect yourself from the villains.
Now that you have made it to the end of building toys gift guide, tell me, was it easy for you to find the perfect gift? Share your favorite finds with me, in the comments!