Straight A Back-to-School Apps

Back to School Apps

It is hard to believe the school is starting soon.  Are you ready for the kids going back to school?  Are the kids ready?   I hope these back-to-school apps will help the kids to achieve straight A’s and stay happy!

First, here are some apps that will help the kids transition into the learning mood from a relaxed summer:

Brain Quest (free): curriculum based trivia games for grade1 to 5.  Each grade has 80 questions.  With In-App purchase ($2.99 for each grade), you can buy the whole pack, which has over 600 questions for each grade.  Kids learn while playing games.

BrainPop Featured Movie (free): Kids get to see a new animated documentary every day. The range of topics is amazingly broad: science, history, Engineering & technology, Social Studies, English, Arts & Music, and Health subjects.

TeachMe ($1.99 for each grade level): An app series covers Toddler, Kindergarten, Grade1, and Grade2. Each grade has spelling and basic math.

Khan Academy (free): Free classes on various subjects.  The topics include: K-12 math, science (such as biology, chemistry, and physics), finance, history, test prep (GMAT, CAHSEE, SAT math, etc). The level of the courses ranges from elementary school to college.  Any student will be able to find somethingStraight A Back To School Apps

After they get into the learning mood, here are some apps that can help them get A’s on the specific subjects

Stack the States ($0.99): Learn US states via interactive games

Stack the Countries ($1.99): Learn world geography while playing games

NOVA Elements (free): Learn periodic table with multi-media materials, such as short videos, pictures, 3D models, and games.

SplashMath ($9.99): comprehensive math app that is linked to US standard curriculum.

Mathemagics – Mental math tricks ($0.99): teaches little tricks on how to do math quickly

Mindsnacks Spanish (initial download is free with one level, $4.99 for the whole package with 50 levels): Learn Spanish with fun.

Now Some Good Reads:

Ice is Nice – Cat in the Hat Learning Library ($5.99): Learn animals and geography of North and South Poles. It is for kids aged 5-10.

ABCmouse.com: Grand Canyon (free): Kids 4 and up will learn everything about Grand Canyon, following ABCmouse.

Horton Hatches the Egg ($4.99): Another Dr.Seuss’s book app designed for pre-school and kindergarteners.

Biography Comics (free for the first 3 books, $29.99 for all 29 books): 29 biographies in comics, including Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Hillary Clinton, Steven Spielberg, Warren Buffett, … It is for kids 8 and older.

Cool to be Clever (free): kids 6 and up who can read chapter-books will learn the story of Edson Hendricks and how he invented “connectionless” network design that is used in today’s Internet.

Brush of Truth ($1.99): A book app written for children age 8-12.  It is a book app that the readers get to decide how the story unfolds…

While at school, there will be issues about bullies and interactions between peers, these apps will help:

FeelElectric (free): designed for kids 6 and older, this app teaches kids recognize different emotions and express emotions with words

Be Confident in Who You Are ($2.99): a graphic novel targeted at kids 8-14 years old. It addresses topics such as self-consciousness, stress, bullying, fitting in, body image, and sticky issues in friendships. All these issues are presented in an age appropriate manner.

Enjoy a new school year with these cool apps!

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Wendy November 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog! LOVE your site, you offer great insight to Mamas on many areas of technology! Thanks for sharing the joy!!!
~Wendy

Melanie September 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Definitely Nearpod app!!!! kids love it and teachers too! take a look: https://vimeo.com/48818585

iGameMom September 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Looks quite interesting. Do you have experience of the app?

Kate August 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Awesome list. My dd loves Splash Math and TeachMe apps :)

iGameMom August 22, 2012 at 11:30 am

They both are great apps!

amoralegria August 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thank you for visiting my blog, which brought me to yours!

Kudos for this comprehensive list of online resources, which I am going to copy and save for possible use in my new classroom this year! BrainPop videos are fun and easy for the kids to understand, also not too long for their short attention spans!

iGameMom August 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thank you! There are so many apps out there, hopefully, my work can save others some time. Please come back and let me know how you use the apps in your classroom. Which grade are you teaching?

Patrick August 16, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Be Confident In Who You Are looks interesting. Great list. I just recently invested in tablets for my kids and am always looking for a great educational app!

iGameMom August 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

You come to the right place. This site is all about educational apps for kids. Be Confident in Who You Are is a great book. All stories are in a real life setting, teaching kids how to handle tough situations. Every one can easily relate to the stories. – this is what I like the best about this book.

Alicia Floriano August 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

Love brain quest! Great post, can’t wait to share this with my little sis!

iGameMom August 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Thanks! Hope she likes the apps.

Audra Krell August 15, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I highly recommend brain quest! My boys ALWAYS loved those. Thank you for this great blog, much needed!

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the note. It’s always good to know what apps other families are using! Loved your cookie story – wish my son would be the same when he grows up …

Jodi August 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Great list! Very helpful. My girls are going to love checking out some new apps….Thanks!

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Glad to know you find the app list helpful. Let me know how the girls like the apps.

Camhy August 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

These apps look great! I would especially love to try Khan Academy with my kids, but I get all excited only to find out they’re only available on IPad. I have IPhone and a Kindle Fire. Could you label your apps in their descriptions so I know right away if I will be able to access them? Thanks so much!

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Sorry for that. I will keep that in mind. BTW, they have website also, if you find it useful http://www.khanacademy.org/

Andrew August 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

Very informative. Thanks for sharing. Will bookmark this for future usage.

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Any time. Please come visit more! There are always some new app ideas here.

Julie @ Story Bayou August 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks for including Brush of Truth on this list. Just wanted to let your readers know it will be on sale for 99 cents on Aug. 17, and that free lesson plans are available on our website, http://www.storybayou.com.

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thank you Julie for letting us know. I added a note on the post about the $0.99 on Aug.17, in case anyone misses comments.

kalamitykelli August 15, 2012 at 5:14 am

Always informative and well-researched! Thank you so much for this, I recommend it to all my friends with young children!

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thank you for the comment. It seems more and more families, even schools, are using iPAD for educational purpose. We don’t want to be left behind by our kids. :-)

Ella August 15, 2012 at 3:45 am

Wow! Thanks for the list. I will surely check them out. My kids would love this.

iGameMom August 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hopefully, these educational apps will make YOUR life a little easier too!

{ 7 trackbacks }